You’re great. Seriously, by just taking the time to read this posting or any of our others, you’re showcasing a willingness to learn how to be a better man – how to look your best, act your best and feel as confident and kind as humanly possible.
But that said, there’s still some of us out there committing deadly sins that run contrary to being an extraordinary gentleman. Below are just a few of the non-grooming-related faux pas that put most well-adjusted men “on tilt” – but if you can steer clear of or correct these behaviors (suggestions provided below) -- you’re already heading the right direction.
1. OUT BEFORE IN: Whether in an elevator or restroom situation, the proper and polite protocol is always to let people out before rushing in. Always stand to the side when the elevator door opens and let the troops file out. As for the bathroom, allow people to escape before heading in to take care of your business.
2. NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN: Ever run into someone you’ve met and spoken to previously and they say, “I’m XXX, nice to meet you.” Man, that burns our ass. Play it safe so you’re “not that guy” in this situation and go with the ever-safe “nice to see you.” That helps cover all your bases, whether you’ve met prior or not.
3. IF YOU DON’T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY…: Don’t say it!!! Sure, this is a rule usually taught by grandmothers, but it still holds true that “if you don’t have something nice to say… don’t say it.” Bad mouthing or talking behind other’s backs really is a sign of weakness. It’s just a way for a person to prop themselves up by tearing someone else down. Stay positive, be truthful and focus on yourself, your family or your team – not the faults of others.
4. NO CHIEFS, BROS OR BOSSES: Unless the person your speaking with is actually a Chief, your brother or you Boff (nod to Baba Booey), don’t call them such. “Hey Chief.” Nah… doesn’t work.
5. LITTERING BUGS US: Pretty basic, but it’s so damn disrespectful to others and the environment when someone throws their cigarette or a wrapper or such on the ground. Somebody’s going to have to pick that up and you could save everyone some time and do the right thing by taking care of it yourself.
Got any other gentlemanly infractions that are high on your list? Let us know in the comments and we’ll post on a future blog.
Comments will be approved before showing up.