We’ve all been there. You wake up in the morning and stare blankly into your packed out closet only to end up wearing the same things you always do. Or maybe you’re so strapped for space you can’t find or get to the jacket you’re looking for. It can only mean one thing. It’s time to spring clean your closet. To help consumers make sense of their wardrobe, Trunk Club launched a new study examining the wardrobes of 2,000 men and women to discover their personal experiences and behaviors with their clothing selection. And the findings were interesting. Nearly thirty percent of the items in the average person’s closet have never been worn or have gone untouched for over a year. And the results showed that the average person has about 53 items in their closet, but they typically don’t wear 15 of them. And six percent of people own nine or more items in their closets that still have the tags on them!
It’s time to purge. Kiss those one season wonders, old gym clothes and fashion don’ts goodbye. Because whether you decide to simply ditch and donate or choose the more extreme KonMari Method, you’ll benefit from the wardrobe refresh. Here are five reasons why you should free up space and spring clean your closet.
- It’s better for your clothes. Cramming and jamming your favorite shirts and ties into a crowded closet is just not good for your clothing. Crushing suit jackets and hanging blazers on lousy hangers will cause them to lose their shape. And you’re not doing your shoes any favors by tossing them into a pile at the bottom of your closet. If you want to look your best, you’ll need to ditch the excess and reorganize.
- You’ll be able to see the clothes you have. According to The KonMari method and The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up “To truly cherish the things that are important to you, you must first discard those that have outlived their purpose.” It makes sense. To look your best, keep only your best pieces. After a ruthless purge, your most stylish get-ups will have room to shine.
- You’ll save time getting dressed. The Trunk Club study also found that the average respondent polled spends eight hours per month in their closet agonizing over what to wear, which is nearly 100 hours per year. Getting organized can save you time getting dressed every single day. After you spring clean your closet, group your clothing into sections. Hang your suits, ties, and jeans together. Invest in a shoe rack that allows you to see all your footwear options. So there’s no more searching for the missing sneaker or your favorite jeans because everything you need to plan a look will be right at your fingertips.
- You’ll save money. Do you find yourself replacing the same wardrobe essentials over and over again? Before hitting the mall, shop your closet first. Are you fully stocked with style staples? If not, you can easily reload the basics and refresh last year’s spring essentials with Trunk Club. You’ll create a profile, work with a personal stylist and preview your Trunk before it ships. Shop for what you need versus doubling up on what you already have.
5. You’ll feel less stressed. Getting rid of clutter, whether it’s in your closet or your desk drawer, will make you feel more relaxed and focused. So when you lighten up your wardrobe, you’ll be lifting your spirits. You’ll look good, and you’ll feel good too.